I have been looking at Kexi as well.  As I understand it, Kexi currently
offers read-only access to DBs not actually created from within Kexi.  If
you have already created a database, you will not have write access to that
DB.  That said, if you create the DB from within Kexi, you can use it more
or less as a front-end.  I haven't tried it yet on my Debian-KDE box, but I
may do just that.  I think Calligra is going to be worth watching.

I have used Base and learned a fair amount in the process.  Based on the
number of postings about Base here on the list, I certainly hope it gets
more attention.  I would offer to jump in, but I honestly can't code my way
out of a wet paper bag. :-(

I have used OOo/LO for several years now, but mind you, I am supportive of
most libre projects.

Don