At 13:09 15/08/2011 +0200, Francis Leboutte wrote:
I can't install 3.4.2 on Windows XP because the installer asks for the libreoffice33.msi file that is not present on my PC.

Same thing :
- If I try to uninstall.
- With 3.3.3 version.

I'm using 3.3.2 version (French).

As I understand things - and will any experts out there please correct me? - the .msi file is a database of what needs doing to install a product using Windows Installer. It's needed during installation, of course, but equally during removal of the product. Like many products, LibreOffice evidently checks for previous versions of the product and (unless you make special arrangements) removes previous versions as part of the installation process. To complete this removal, it needs the .msi file for the (older) version being removed. Windows remembers where this was during installation and looks there to find it again during removal. If Windows does not find the appropriate .msi file, it invites the user to browse to it and provide it.

What I suspect products like OpenOffice and LibreOffice should do, but appear not to, is to salt away a copy of the .msi file with the installation itself, so that it will always be available when later needed. (Microsoft's own products, such as Office, appear to do this: the .msi file is tucked away in Program Files and hidden.) Failing that, best practice is to keep your own copy until you remove that version of any product. Indeed, a sensible course of action is first to put any original downloaded file somewhere it can be kept and unpack it there - not on the desktop, then! - before installation. Windows will remember where the relevant files were when you later need to repair, remove, or upgrade the product.

If you have lost the installation files for the older version, a simple way forward is to obtain them again. You may have to hunt around a bit to find the *exact* version you need. Unpack the download to reveal the .msi file and browse to it when asked by the new installation. In case of problems, try installing the older version again first: this will put the older version back into shape and leave everything ready for the new installation. This will still need the older .msi file, of course - so don't move it too soon! This way, you shouldn't need any brute force uninstallers.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker