Hi :)
Please could you post a bug-report about it?
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/BugReport

A copy&paste of your email would be perfect.  It might be good to say which
version of LibreOffice you are using, 3.3.3 or 3.4.2 or whatever but don't worry
about it if you don't know right now.  Also a hint of which OS, such as Ubuntu
10.04 or Mandriva 2011.2 or whatever.  Again it's stuff that you could add to
the report in a later comment if anyone asks.

Impress does have a fwe problems but i have not heard of this happening before.
It sounds fairly serious though.  No app should be able to bring down a
Gnu&Linux OS or any other unix-based platform so it's urgent to get a bug-report
out there quickly.

Is the machine a laptop?  Have you installed a new graphics card recently?
Ram?  Do you know how much ram the machine has?  Have other apps also crashed
the machine?  Do you know what temperature the Cpu is reaching?  On my machine i
can only check the temp at reboot in the bios.  Since you are experienced with
Gnu&Linux i was wondering if you are any good with hardware too?  Any of those
questions would be nice to have answers too even if you don't know the answers
to all of them.

Regards from
Tom :)