I've not seen tables-of-content move between Microsoft Word and ODF documents very well, in either
direction.  (But I have not dug into it enough to conquer whatever the limitations are, either.)

Say more about what you are doing and where you need to end up.

Are you attempting to edit a dissertation using LibreOffice exclusively?   Then you might want to
have it as an .odt (not .doc) until the last possible minute.  If you need to turn it in as a .doc,
you might need to find a copy of Microsoft Office for a final edit, adjustment of the table of
contents, etc.

Or are you at the front end where you are starting with a model in .doc and want to replicate its
table of content styles, etc., for continuing in LibreOffice?

 - Dennis