Hi :)
+1
I didn't know about the links and don't support the idea of using proprietary
products if it's possible to avoid them.  I agree it would be great to use .odt
but that it is more realistic to use .doc.

You can set the default format to .Doc and similar by clicking on
Tools - Options - +Load/Save - General
Then there are 2 drop-downs beside each other at the bottom.  With "Document
Type" set at "Text Document" roll the other one back-up one place to "Microsoft
Word (97/2000/Xp)".  For spreadsheets and presentations roll-back 2 places to
avoid the "templates" options.
Regards from
Tom :)