Am 11.08.2011 01:38, Simon Cropper wrote:
On 11/08/11 02:53, Tom Davies wrote:
 > Hmm, well maybe not the absolute worst. A sieve or broken
 > floppy disc or an ancient format that no program can read
 > might be worse but yes, databases with an audit-trail are
 > much more secure and plain text such as Csv ensure that there
 > will always be some program somewhere that can at least
 > access the data.

I agree but there are no good front ends to the myriad of relational
database backends that you can utilise on Linux.

A tiny collection of dBase files provides a much better data container than the best spreadsheet. If you used to use a spreadsheet which goes down the drain now, then a set of most simple unrelated dBase files with simple forms, import ranges and some data pilots can do anything you used to do in the spreadsheet alone. Forms and pilots can live in the same spreadsheet document while the raw data are separated in a dBase directory to be used seamlessly in OOo Calc or something else.