Johnny

On Thu, 2011-08-11 at 12:36 +0200, Johnny Rosenberg wrote:

2011/8/11 Tom Davies <tomdavies04@yahoo.co.uk>:
Hi :)
Ahhah, great.  I prefer dashes - because after reading too much for too long my
eyes get a bit muddled when people use / and dots still seem to confuse obscure
Windows systems sometimes.  I was told that the / was the European Standard but
if - are used in one other country then that helps me argue the case with my
boss.

I though that ”/” was the US standard… Here (Sweden) we follow the
ISO8601, except for time. Seems like we use dots instead of colons.

"/" with mm/dd/yyyy is the normal US standard (sometimes mm.dd.yyyy
because "/" is mis interpreted in file names). Most Americans who have
dealt with international trade are comfortable with either US or ISO
styles and for dates.

Wish we and the rest of the world could just adapt the ISO 8601. There
is a reason for why it was created… And personally I use it all the
time. And of course every ”dygn” (sorry, there is no English
translation for that word – yet…) is 24 hours, so why that silly 12
hour thing? If all analogue watches were made 24 hours, you could very
easily also use it as a compass, at least when you can see the sun (if
the hour hand point to the sun, then 24, or rather 0, will point to
north, 6 to east, 12 to south and 18 to west). How can it be easier
than that?

When I was in elementary school we were taught a 12 hour cycle with AM
and PM to determine if it was morning or afternoon/evening. The US
military, I believe, uses the 24 hour clock because 0900 is always in
the morning while evening equivalent 2100 is always in the
evening/night, much less likely to be misunderstood.

Regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・ローゼンバーグ
2011-08-11 12:36:51