Hi

On Thu, 2011-08-11 at 06:11 -0700, msaum@smi wrote:

We have main frame reports that are generated using "xhtml" and saved as
extension "xls". When the user gets the report they would typically just
open them with excel, no problem...  Calc does not open them properly. When
I ope CALC and manually open the spreadsheet, it eventually opens in
Writer/Web and does not look like the same result as Excel does.... This is
a major stumbling block for us to move over to Libre Office.. We are engaged
with application vendor to change the report, but we all know how that can
be....SLOWWW..

Instead of opening the file try importing the file into Calc using
INSERT >> SHEET FROM FILE. You will be presented with an import wizard.
If that does not work you link to data, also under INSERT.

I think the problem is when the encoding is read by LO it sees as an
XHTML page for Writer. Excel is a stand alone product, as all the MSO
suite members while LO is an integrated suite (you get everything at
once). So LO opens a file it tries to open it with what is normally the
best option based on the actual encoding. Changing the file extension
does not change the file encoding. This can cause problems because the
opening program may incorrectly interpret the file format present
gibberish. The best way for the main frame to output is with the correct
extension or as a CSV file which any spreadsheet can handle.

--
Jay Lozier
jslozier@gmail.com