Hi :)
Yes, i have heard that of AbiWord before.  Writer does have a lot more
features.

With LinuxFromScratch you might find Slackware forums helpful as i think they
are the most similar to what you are doing.  There will be slight differences of
course but they are probably very used to the approach and the ideal of keeping
the system streamlined.  Othe distros forums might have soem tips but take care
as they probably don't worry about adding 'bloat'.  Also the forum

http://www.linuxquestions.org
is good for every distro but again take care as people might not worry about
adding bloat which you may not want.  Good to get ideas from tho! :)

I have 1 machine that has Ubuntu and doesn't yet have LibreOffice installed but
it's difficult for me to get to.  If i do manage it i will try to remember to
get a list of dependencies for Writer alone.  I have a feeling that it is going
to be the entirety of LibreOffice excluding only Base and possibly Java.

Regards from
Tom :)