2011/8/11 Tom Davies <tomdavies04@yahoo.co.uk>:
Hi :)
Ahah, i have just found these links
http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/system-requirements/
I'm guessing that's the guide you used?  It's definitely official and definitely
for LibreOffice but it doesn't give a lot of detail.

Jonny, it is to register all the various office formats that would 'normally' be
opened by MS Office to be opened by LibreOffice instead.

Yes, I just found out… But he operator could have been more detailed,
couldn't he…? :D
Well, it's all sorted out now anyway, isn't it?

Kind regards

Johnny Rosenberg
ジョニー・ローゼンバーグ

Normally when people install LibreOffice the final screen (the one with the
"Finish" button rather than "Next" or "Forwards") has a tick-box to make
LibreOffice the default Office Suite.  Generally i avoid that at first to allow
people to continue using MS Office by default and just get used to LibreOffice
at their own pace.

Sobriquet an easier way to achieve the same result might be to try reinstalling
LibreOffice but choose the "Repair" option instead of the full re-install.
Hopefully the last screen will show those tick-boxes again.

These links might provide more help with the route you are taking

http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/installation/windows/
and other official documentation is here
http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/documentation/

http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=74&t=12918
It's an old guide and for OpenOffice.org but most things like that still work
for LibreOffice because both Suites are very similar and we work together quite
a bit sometimes.  The LibreOffice code is smaller, cleaner and faster and has
quite a lot of extra functionality and it's developing faster but still most of
the basics are the same for both.  Also although there is not a special section
for Win7 the Vista and Xp guidance might help.

This un-offical blog might help understand (i haven't read it yet so i don't
know how good it is)
http://minimumsystemrequirements.net/libreoffice.html
If you do have to get java try to get their _20, _21 or _22 version, preferably
the _21.  The newer _24 & _26 re great for web-browsers but really slow
LibreOffice down quite badly.  Hopefully you don't need java for Writer, Calc or
anything except perhaps Base so you can leave Java until later.

Somewhat insanely this guide might help!
http://wikis.sun.com/display/StarOffice/StarOffice+9+Readme+for+Windows
LibreOffice was developed from OpenOffice and we keep fairly close ties with
them now that they are run by Apache.  OpenOffice developed from StarOffice but
that was about a decade ago.  There are not many (a few but not many) that
worked in StarOffice.  The crazy thing is that Oracle were fairly bad at
supporting or doing anything for OpenOffice during their brief ownership of it.
They just seemed to try to kill it (imo).  However, that link might be
helpful??!!

This guide was written a year or so before Oracle took ownership of OpenOffice.
http://specs.openoffice.org/installation/filetyperegistration/foreign_file_type_registration.odt

Sun were good at building up the community and keeping the product stable.  They
owned it for about a decade and were the ones that gave it the name
OpenOffice.org rather than keeping it as StarOffice.  The guide might try to
download the Odt document onto your machine.  I don't normally like links that
do that.  Many apols for that.  It's very dry stuff and difficult to read.  It's
not really aimed at normal users so it might not be helpful.

Hmm, this guide also looks like it might try to download itself, it's also very
dry and also unlikely to really give quick easy answers.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/53230646/readme-en-US
Perhaps good for the detail tho, maybe.

Hopefully someone else on this list might be able to give a quicker, easier
answer.
Good luck and regards from
Tom :)