i dont know about other distros or desktop manager but in ubuntu 10.04
(Gnome classic),i could install fonts by double clicking it.

On 10 August 2011 18:34, Roland Hughes <roland@logikalsolutions.com> wrote:

The KDE desktop has a nice application built in to add fonts.

The Gnome desktop is from a time when programmers lived in caves and ate
their young.  You have to know the super secret directories to copy
into, then the 3 name never spoken script files to edit.

There is a Gnome font adding application, but most distros don't include
it.