We have been begging for tabbed divisions from the
OpenOffice/LO/Symphony community for years.  It has become quite obvious
that the developers on these projects have only ever used Microsoft Word
and can't fathom why anyone would want something other than a clone of
that.

IBM seriously dropped the ball with WordPro.  SmartSuite was THE office
suite, bar none.