On 08/06/2011 04:31 AM, Andreas Säger wrote:

It appears to still have issues. I'm getting this error:

[unixODBC][Driver Manager]Driver's SQLAllocHandle on SQL_HANDLE_HENV failed

I'll post back when I get it figured out.

Since many years I have never read some write-up where somebody managed
to access mdb under Linux nor Mac.
There used to be a read-only driver from an open source project back in
2005/06. After many months of hard work they gave up further development
when their write access revealed some tendency to destroy the connected
database. Read-only would be just fine for most people, but I can not
even find that version anymore.
The Windows drivers are made by Microsoft. Even if they could compile
the same thing for Linux easily, they would never do so.
I use to recommend the excellent tools provided by MS Access to export
data, query definitions, doc reports, macros and all sorts of meta
information.
The mdb tools are good enough to export usable CSV. Then you can copy
tables from a CSV connected Base document into a database connected Base
document. Like always, mind the locale setting in respect to the decimal
separator and date formats used in the csv.
Greetings,
Andreas

I finally managed to get Base to connect to the Access file (old Office
97 Northwind example .mdb) and even list the tables in the file. However
when I attempt to view the table LO (and OOo) crashes with no apparent
crash info (i.e., LO & OOo simply dismiss). To do that I use a different
driver: /usr/lib/libmdbodbc.so.0 instead of /usr/lib/libmdb.so.1. So
it's closer than before...

For Roberto: my odbcints.ini entry looks like this:
[mdbtools]
Description             = MSAccess Driver
Driver          = /usr/lib/libmdbodbc.so.0
Driver64                =
Setup           = /usr/lib/libmdbodbc.so.0
Setup64         =
UsageCount              = 1

and my odbc.ini entry;
$ cat /etc/odbc.ini
[Northwind]
Description             = Northwind Sample Database
Driver          = /usr/lib/libmdbodbc.so.0
Database                = /home/gg/Documents/MyDocuments/Nwind.mdb