Hi :)

Sometimes it is better to use the LibreOffice that is in the repositories
because they have been tweaked for your specific distro.  The .debs should work
fine on all Debian family distros but sometimes it's better to have one
fine-tuned to your specific distro.

Which version of Ubuntu; 10.04LTS (Lucid), 10.10 (Maveric) or 11.04 (Natty)?  I
think Natty has LibreOffice in the standard repos and for the earlier ones you
can add a "PPA" to expand the repos.  I'm not sure how to set-up ppas but the
url of the one i use in 10.04 is
http://ppa.launchpad.net/libreoffice/ppa/ubuntu

Also the LibreOffice versions 3.3.2 and 3.3.3 are much more stable than the
3.4.1 although if you are using the 3.4.1 you might want to try the 3.4.2 that
was fully released earlier today.  You can keep the one you already have
installed and try another to compare but only by using the instructions in this
guide
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Installing_in_parallel
I think that guide might be worth looking through anyway if you have installed
and uninstalled a lot of times.

If you need to compare 2 documents or different versions of the same document i
think there are soem good tools in LibreOffice to help make that a lot easier.
The Writer Guide might be able to help
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation

Good luck and regards from
Tom :)