________________________________
From: Steve Edmonds <steve.edmonds@ptglobal.com>
To: users@global.libreoffice.org
Sent: Tue, 26 July, 2011 23:04:54
Subject: Re: [libreoffice-users] Calc. Changing format of data types

Thanks. Michael, planas

On 27/07/11 09:48, planas wrote:
Steve

On Wed, 2011-07-27 at 09:16 +1200, Steve Edmonds wrote:

If I have a string in a cell, say 30/08/2011 and the format is general
(I don't know what types the data) can this be changed to a date data
type without having to re-enter all my data.
steve

You can change the data type without re-entering. If the format chosen
incorrect, say you entered mm/dd/yyyy and the format selected was
dd/mm/yyyy it may not correctly understand the alternate format. Dates
formats are controlled by the local formating rules; US normally uses
mm/dd/yyyy while most others use dd/mm/yyyy.

I worked it out.
I changed the alignment using the right, centered, left buttons that
confused LO.

I had 12/03/2011, cell number type date but it was not really a date but
confused.
I cleared all formatting Ctl-M, cell showed 12/03/2011.
I set cell format to text, cell showed 12/03/2011.
I set cell format to date and the formula changed to '12/03/2011 (note
that ' was added in front)
I deleted the ' in front and the cell changed to date.
steve

Hi :)
Yes the ' is used by many formats and many programs to define the field as
text.  It's used in Csv files, xls, ods and so on.  Well found! :)
Regards from
Tom :)