Here is some context.

First, with regard to formulas and the rules for formulas in spreadsheets, you need to look at
OpenFormula, which is Part 2 and OpenDocument-v1.2-cs01-part2.pdf is the format I recommend.  (It's
faster and you can set Acrobat Reader to show forward and back buttons that work just like in a
browser when you chase cross-references in the document.)

 - You can find it in the "Technical Work Produced by this Committee" list on the ODF TC home page,
<http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=office>.

 - You can go to this folder and fish out what you want, see the sizes before you download, etc: <
http://docs.oasis-open.org/office/v1.2/cs01/>.

CAUTION: Don't try to use the HTML documents of Part 1 or Part 2.  They are single pages for
documents of hundreds of pages in OpenDocument Text or PDF form.

The OASIS Open Document Format for Office Applications (OpenDocument) is a specification produced
by the OASIS Consortium.  We tend to refer to the format as ODF, and there are three versions at
the moment: ODF 1.0, ODF 1.1, and the ODF 1.2 Committee Specification 01.  Also, there is an ISO
Standard, IS 26300:2006, that is very close to ODF 1.0.  An amendment is currently in progress to
align the ISO standard with ODF 1.1.  When ODF 1.2 becomes an official OASIS Standard (more than a
Committee Specification) later this year, ODF 1.2 will also be taken to ISO in some manner.

OpenOffice.org supports ODF as its native document format.  That's the connection.  Currently,
LibreOffice will save documents as ODF 1.0/1.1, ODF 1.2, or ODF 1.2 extended.  I don't know what
conformance to ODF 1.2 is claimed for LibreOffice 3.3 and 3.4, but if LibreOffice Calc .ods files
are ODF 1.2, then the OpenFormula specification applies.

BRASS TACKS

This specification states that comparisons between values of different types (e.g., text and
number) have implementation-defined results, where those results must be one of true, false, or an
error value.

In section 6.4.9,

" These functions return one of True, False, or an Error if Left and Right have different types,
but it is implementation-defined which of these results will be returned when the types differ."

So the only question is, what is LibreOffice's definition and, if folks don't like it, what do you
want done about it?  And how do you propose for interoperability issues to be handled with regard
to what other implementations may have already established as their implementation-defined behavior?

(You can argue with the ODF 1.2 specification, but that won't provide any immediate relief.  Work
on 1.3 is in progress, but that specification is probably two years away.)

HAVING IT BE DIFFERENT

If I were writing a proposal to tighten this for ODF 1.3, I would say that when the types are
different, an error value shall be produced.  I would argue that to be the only safe thing to do if
a specific provision is made, since this is the only way to prevent spreadsheets written with a
different expectation from silently producing possibly-unnoticed different results for some users
in the future.  Of course LibreOffice could just do that, but I am sure there are important
trade-offs to consider.

I am not writing such a proposal, but if there is strong sentiment for something like this, I would
be happy to introduce it.  If you want something else, you will have to find someone else to submit
it to the ODF TC.  (To submit your own request for a change, use this: <
http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/comments/index.php?wg_abbrev=office>.)

 - Dennis