Thanks for your answers.

Zotero is a very good software but I work mainly in LaTeX and Zotero
supports only a kind of syncronization with a .bib file. Some export
problems exist and for me it is not acceptable because I need a very
clean BibTeX file to produce papers and books. Moreover Zotero works
only under Firefox, right? Not all people in our lab use Firefox.
However I have just visited the Zotero website and seems that alpha
versions for other browser support exist... I'll give it a try and
I'll check again the BibTeX support :)

I have used Bibus up to two years ago to work with OpenOffice but I do
not think is a great software. In Wikipedia a lot of reference
managers are listed but no one has a real support for BibTeX files.
Just export. In my opinion, only Zotero has an advanced management of
BibTeX files thanks to a real time syncronization.

I don't want that LibO becomes a reference manager (no import, no
sorting, no hyperlink, no pdf). My hope is that in the future LibO
could use an external database (BibTeX or SQLite, etc...) without the
need of an external program to cite a reference and to produce a
bibliography. An internal bibliography system already exists in LibO
and in OpenOffice but is very poor.
In this way one can manage its bibliographic database with the program
he/she prefers and then LibO is able to use this databases natively,
without the help of external program and without the need of an API.

Thanks for this nice discussion!

Ciao ciao.
Fra