On 11/07/11 05:52, Francesco Biccari wrote:
Hi to everyone,

this is my first message on this mailing list.

I am a researcher and usually I use LaTeX+BibTeX for my papers.
Sometimes I need to write .doc/.docx/.odt files and the bibliography
is a big problem. JabRef has a nice plugin to work with
OpenOffice/LibreOffice like other reference manager do. But a direct
usage of the BibTeX file would be much better.

I know that the bibliography system need a big revision. What do you
think about a "universal" interface to manage the references in
LibreOffice which can be interfaced with one or more BibTeX files or
with the common relational databases?

Regards.
Francesco

Francesco,

I know this does not directly address you questions or suggestion but though it might be of some use.

I have successfully used Zotero with OpenOffice and LibreOffice for several years (http://www.zotero.org/).

It is relatively intuitive and well supported.

I generate quite a few documents annually and each has a comprehensive bibliography. My library has 8549 references and I can readily export them into dozens of formats.

http://www.zotero.org/styles

The program can import Bibtex files.

--
Cheers Simon