In news:op.vycjy4x2ov9kiw@monster-linux.zuhause,
Zak McKracken <zak_mckracken@openoffice.org> typed:
Am 07.07.2011, 21:19 Uhr, schrieb Twayne
<tom@twaynesdomain.com>:
[...]
In case I didn't make it clear, the runaway scrolling
occurred when I was moving the pages via the scrollbar
so I could watch the page numbers easier.
But I could make the same thing happen by scrolling wtih
the mouse wheel.

Ah, OK. No, I don't have that problem either.

My usual "fix" is just to break a
large document into several smaller documents to get LO
to handle it, although I haven't created a Master
Document yet and don't know if that will
bring back the problems.

Splitting documents does help (I'm doing that, too), but
it can indroduce new problems: If you have rferences
across several part documents, that will give you an
error message in the individual files, but the correct
content in the global one. Which can change line and page
breaks, and that can change the layout. Shouldn't be a
problem but can become one. Also it took me a while to
figure out how to have proper page breaks between single
documents.  But then, it makes editing a lot easier, especially with
many images.

They
aren't large images either in real estate or file size;
they're about 1/16
of a page, most of them, and there may be 6 to 10
smaller ones per page in a
table which is apt to really screw up in LO.

In my experience, the problem starts with more than one
image per paragraph and with more than half the page
covered in images. But if you organize them in a table,
that'll keep them together.

Interesting; tables can be the worst culprits, depending on whatever, I
don't know. I've never been able to decide if it was the qty of images or
qty of anchors and which cell/s they live in. Hmmm.

 Depending on whether the
table also contains text, you could alternatively arrange
them in LO draw and then copy/paste them into the writer
document. Then it's really just one object, and that is
easier to position than many small ones.

I'll have to think about that one a bit; using Draw so it'll only be one
object. Sounds plausible, but it might be more work than just splitting the
files apart as I've done before. Since these are all pre-existing files I'd
have to pull from Writer, Paste into Draw, fix, & Paste back into Writer.
Wonder if I could get a macro to do that? Probably not.

Thanks for your thoughts though! Unless I get a brainstorm from your
comments, I think I'll go the split-documents route and Master Document/s
if/when the images will stabilize for me.

Thanks again,

Twayne`

Cheers,

 Zak