There appears to be either a mistake in the description of the behaviour of
these functions in Help for Draw or a bug in the actual operation of these
functions in Draw.
LibreOffice Help for Draw says:

To convert a 2-D object to a 3-D object:
1. Select a 2-D object on the slide or page.
2. Click the Extrusion On/Off icon on the Drawing bar, or right-click the
object and choose Convert - To 3-D.
To edit the properties of the 3-D object, use the Line and Filling toolbar
and the 3-D Settings toolbar.

In Draw, is it intended that the "Extrusion On/Off icon" and "right-click
the object and choose Convert - To 3-D" options should have:

a) exactly the same effect on a 2d object?
and
b) apply to any 2d object?

I am using LibreOffice 3.3.2 on WinXP 32bit and I find that these two
i) give different results and offer different editing options;
ii) do not apply equivalently to all 2d objects.

The options and results vary depending on from which menu option the 2d
object was drawn.

Here's a description of the behaviour.

If I draw a Rectangle, an Ellipse or Text using the buttons between the
"Line Ends with Arrow" and "Curve" buttons,  the Extrusion On-Off button
does not become active if I select them.  The Extrusion tools panel does not
appear.

I can right-click the object and choose Convert - To 3-D. Once I have done
that the object is rendered in 3d. It can be resized using the green handles
and rotated in 3d after double clicking in it. The Extrusion tools panel
does not appear.

If I select and draw an object from the "Basic Shapes" button and any button
to the right of that which allow me to generate a drawing object (as opposed
to just editing one), if I right-click the object and choose Convert - To
3-D, then I get the same behaviour as for the simple rectangle etc.
described above.

However, for any shape created this latter way, the Extrusion On-Off button
becomes active and the Extrusion tools panel appears if I click on it.

This then allows me far more direct control over the editing and
manipulation of the object in 3d.

I have not found any reference to this on the forums or as a bug. Has anyone
else noticed this?