In news:013301cc347e$2f0d5bb0$8d281310$@acm.org,
Dennis E. Hamilton <dennis.hamilton@acm.org> typed:
You may be running up against a permissions problem on
Windows XP.  Are you running from an administrator
account (something too many distros assume)?  If that's
not it, it may be very difficult to troubleshoot.

For example, the portable build may be attempting to
store the settings somewhere that is read-only or
denied-access and not reporting (or not even checking)
that the write is failing.

You may also be running into a Windows trick that diverts
the write to a different "shadow" place,  so the
application succeeds, but the restarted app can't find
them.  (I can't remember if that was new with Vista or it
made an appearance in one of the XP Service Packs.)

- Dennis