On 2011-06-20, Roxy Robinson wrote:

lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:

To copy and paste some text, I move the mouse pointer over the text
while pressing the left button. To paste, I move the mouse pointer over
the window I want to paste into and press the middle button to have the
text inserted where the cursor is.

It is as simple and efficient as that. It doesn´t work with LO (and some
other misdesigned applications) because the text isn´t inserted where
the cursor is but, illogically, where the mouse pointer happens to
be.
[...]
Having to go through menus and pop-up windows and having to select some
options is way too much fuss and horribly inefficient. Switching back
[...]
really don't know how you could make that any simpler. I have been doing this type
thing over and over and over for well over 10 years and have never had the problem
you state - and that goes all the way back to Win98 and before. You could use just
Paste, but you have the possibility off bringing along web formatting that you are
not aware of and could become quite a hassle down the road in your spreadsheet. As
you can see when you use Paste Special there can be up to 3 or 4 different ways to
paste. To do this in one step they would have to add a "button" for each of those
ways of pasting.

This is not about "Paste" buttons. From your reference to Windows 98,
and from your message headers (which tell me you're using Pocomail, a
mail client which (according to wikipedia) is windows only), you're
using Windows.

The way to copy and paste lee described (and that I'm also used to)
doesn't exist in Windows. I've only seen it in X, a UNIX graphical
interface, commonly used with GNU/Linux and other unices.

It does not involve right-clicks to get a context menu to copy, nor
clicking into copy buttons, nor having to switch between keyboard and
mouse just to copy and paste.

It's just like lee described it, you select the text you want to copy,
and then you click with your mouse middle button in the application you
want to copy the text to.

The problem here is that, unlike other applications where the middle
click pastes the text where the text cursor is, LibO pastes it where the
mouse pointer is (or as nearest as possible, if there's no text where
the pointer is), making it harder to predict where the text will go and
even if you try to point at the right place it might go wrong.

I hope this helps you understand what exactly is this about. I usually
call this "selection copy-paste", I don't know what other people call
it.

Also, there's something else that is annoying: LibO does *not* merge
these two sources of data to paste. Selection and clipboard are kept
apart.

This means you *can't* use Paste special to paste stuff as unformatted
text -- that will use what's in the clipboard, and that's something
different.

--
Nuno J. Silva (aka njsg)
gopher://sdf-eu.org/1/users/njsg