Hi :)
Peppermint is in the Debian family and is based on Lubuntu
http://distrowatch.com/peppermint
DistroWatch are excellent for looking-up gnu&linux distros, even Bsd distros.

Peppermint uses dpkg for package management so the instructions here might help
http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/installation/linux/
Just scroll down to Debian/Ubuntu based systems.  The 1st heading, well 2nd if
you're pedantic i suppose.  Where the official instructions say "use Nautilus"
that is just the file-manager for Ubuntu.  Peppermint uses PCManFM.  Just open
any folder and it should open.

There is an example of 1 way of doing this in the following blog but i would
stick with the official instructions if possible.  Blogs can be good guides to
help get a clearer idea but are sometimes not updated so often
http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/debian-redhat-ubuntu-linux-install-lo_3-3-0-linux_x86_install-rpm_en-us-tar-gz/

Peppermint also has apt already installed so it might be better to add the
Ubuntu PPA and then just use pat-get to download and install.  For Ubuntu 10.04
(Lucid Lynx) i use this PPA
http://ppa.launchpad.net/libreoffice/ppa/ubuntu
I'm not certain that PPAs can be used but if they can it would make things
simpler.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AptGet/Howto

It's interesting to see that rsync is included by default so that backing-up to
external drives is easier.  Rsync keeps permissions intact and also notices
which is the most recent version of a file so it only back-ups files that have
been added or modified.  I have a feeling that Peppermint has Gnome Office, not
OpenOffice, which is a bit basic but fits nicely in the limited space
available.  If you need to clear some space try

apt-get --help

to get instructions on how to use Apt.

You might need more specific help so please let us know if the official
instructions are awkward so that the documentation team can re-work them.  They
need testing ;)
Good luck and regards from
Tom :)