On 04/20/2011 07:21 AM, planas wrote:
The only time I have ever see an office suite removed is when I used the
Ubuntu repository to install LO, OOo was removed by the OS. This is a
Linux only issue when using the repository. I do not know if other Linux
distros do this. If you installed LO without using the Ubuntu software
management you can install LO along side OOo. The installation of other
suites (KOffice in Linux) or office software does not affect LO in
Linux.

And therein lies the problem with the Ubuntu PPA and everything
associated with it. Hence the reason why you should just install
directly from http://www.libreoffice.org/download/

Anyone that is foolish enough to follow the advise on
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LibreOffice
should have their head examined.  Not only does Fabian Rodriguez advise
against using the LO debs:

<quote>
If you're using Ubuntu, don't install LibreOffice manually from the
".deb" files available at LibreOffice.org. Otherwise you will not get
automatic updates & upgrades when new versions come out and you will be
missing the integration to Ubuntu. Using official packages also ensures
you get the best assistance from the community as this is the
recommended method to install & use LibreOffice in Ubuntu.
</quote>

He then goes on to advise this:
<quote>
Please note OpenOffice.org and LibreOffice don't coexist. Install
LibreOffice following these instructions will effectively remove
OpenOffice.org.
</quote>

Now, if you are of a mind to muck about with the Ubuntu PPA's and wish
to help them troubleshoot the mess, be my guest & have at it.

Also notice:
https://launchpad.net/~libreoffice/+archive/ppa
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/~libreoffice
has zaro bugs. This is because all of the "Ubuntu" users that have
installed this PPA version wind up reporting the bugs in the standard LO
or Unbuntu OOo. Fabian neglects to mention that the Ubuntu related bugs
should be filed here instead:
https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libreoffice
or is it:
https://launchpad.net/~libreoffice/+archive/ppa
For questions and bugs with software in this PPA please contact
LibreOffice Packaging.
https://launchpad.net/~libreoffice
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/~libreoffice

Just install from LO unless you are using Ubuntu Natty (aka the next
linux Vista) 11.04 and be done with it.