This discussion on the origins of operating systems and office suites is
interesting for exactly the reasons you stated, being that understanding
where we came from we can better decide where we can and want to go.

It is also interesting that where I work we have just over 400 users spread
over five countries in two hemispheres, not a big company but not exactly a
small business either.
I have been handing out dvd's of libre office (and previously OOo) to many
of our senior users, branch managers, office managers etc. to install on
their home machines instead of paying for MS office upgrades as most still
have older versions on their home machines.
They have been taking work home that was created in MS office at work and
then working with LO at home and bringing it back to work and back to MSO
and after a few initial hick-ups, we are now running smoothly.
I found that even though most of our execs have laptops and other portable
devices they all still have desktop machines at home that their whole family
use.
The good news is that now many of these execs are requesting that we install
LO or OOo on their work machines.
Out of our 400 users, we now have over 150 using either OOo or LO on both
their home and office machines.
The idea of targeting senior users is obvious. I now have senior support
when I try to convince the run-of-the-mill users to try LO or OOo.
Once users are fully educated in using LO or OOo they very soon realise the
benefits.
The most important thing is to give as much support as possible when users
first start using these products and not allow frustration to take over.
Forums like this are a big help.

And as for compatibility, a document created in MSO 2010 and saved in the
OOXML format can not be opened by MSO 2002 but can be opened by OOo3.2 and
LO so even MSO is not compatible with MSO.

Get over it and get LO. Get with the future

Cheers,

Bruce Carlson