Timi,

Yes, I'm a journalist. Wrong, What actually opened things up has validity.
To quote Edmund Burke the British Statesman and Philosopher: Those who don't
know history are destined to repeat
it.<http://thinkexist.com/quotation/those_who_don-t_know_history_are_destined_to/346796.html>

If you don't understand how you got to where you are today, you won't know
why it doesn't work all that well.

I agree. A lot of small businesses depend upon Microsoft, a very
undependable company. And that is a problem for those businesses. There's a
long involved answer to this that would take pages to write. It all boils
down to one thing. A Non-Profit foundation is a more stable entity to get
your mission critical software from.

The Free Software movement offers the tools needed to replace Microsoft
Windows, tools that are mostly superior, and easier to use. The only problem
is that in most place it's impossible to buy them pre-installed on a
computer (except in the case of Apple) because Microsoft uses bundling
agreements to prevent competitors from entering the market place.

Even in countries where Microsoft has lost anti-trust cases, the countries
haven't done anything to address the issue. It's amazing how badly it has
been handled.

Why did you have to pay for your operating system? Obviously I don't know
where you live, but free operating systems are available worldwide, and they
have far better hardware support than Windows has (as a journalist one of my
jobs is installing operating systems to see how they work - installing
Windows XP is an exercise in frustration. Vista is worse. Linux is a
breeze). Simple. The reason you paid for your operating system is that
Microsoft won't let the hardware manufacturers sell computers with Linux
installed. Apple of course doesn't care, since they don't sell Windows
anyway.

Actually the true 'International' Office package is Libre Office, which
supports weird languages like Welsh, that Microsoft Office will never
support because there isn't enough demand. Or KOffice which has a similar
width of language support. Of course Welsh isn't weird if you speak and
write it, except to Microsoft.

Wayne
SemiAccurate