On 4/18/11 11:48 AM, Wayne Borean wrote:
Um, yes, the thread is messed up. Never used Parallels or Boot Camp myself,
but I have had good success with Virtual Box from Oracle/Sun. It's a bit
tricky the first go around, but once you get used to it, it's really neat,
and you can run as many different operating systems as you have disk space
for. At one time when I was really feeling insane I had 20 different Virtual
Machines set up.

Ended up deleting most of them - let's face it. No one has the time to run
20 different virtual machines :) But you can do it. And Virtual Box comes in
Linux, OS X, Windows, and BSD versions, so you can use the same program on
different boxes.

Just like LO/OO.

Wayne

The downside of any virtual machine, i.e. Parallels, Virtual Box, and VM Fusionware, is it uses part of the computer's RAM inside of OS X, leaving you with less RAM for OS X to use. Essentially, you are multitasking your computer to death.

With Boot Camp, it's an either/or situation. Run Boot Camp with a different OS, no OS X available, or run OS X. You've basically switched to a different computer, just using the same hardware. Just another way of doing a multiboot situation, which I also have thought about doing on my iMac.

Ken