On 10/04/11 10:00, dphurst wrote:
You can use GIMP to directly import the postscript file and then export to
any image format you want.  GIMP, of course, would let you edit the image if
you want.  I use to use ghostscript as you've described to convert
postscript to TIFF for publication quality images.  However, since I would
crop using GIMP eventually, I played with and found that the import of
postscript is actually very good.  Just set the resolution in the initial
dialog after opening up the postscript file.  Also, select to anti-alias at
high quality the text and graphics.
Best wishes,
Dow

Dow,
Thanks for the interesting suggestion. However, I am a musician and graphics simply doesn't like me. I have often tackled the Gimp and always ended by tearing on the few hairs I've left as the logic of the program escapes me completely. I would love to grasp it so I can enhance pictures etc. but it's simply not given. For my application the route via gs suites me fine. it gives a good resolution for printing and it is reasonably fast. I think I will make a simple script in LO to import .ps directly.
But thanks again for the suggestion.
Joep