On 03/06/2011 11:18 AM, Zak McKracken wrote:
Hi everyone,

I'm using a font with more than two "fatness" degrees, namely "light", "roman" and "bold". More precisely: Frutiger. For each of these modes, there's a normal and an italic variant, giving six varieties, instead of the usual four (normal, italic, bold, bold italic)

Now in earlier versions of OOo, that used to result in several apparent fonts (named "frutiger 45 light" and "frutiger 55 roman") in the font list, one being the light, the other the roman version, which includes the bold look (no idea what the boldified "light" variant is equal to).

With OOo 3.2, that changed, and I only saw one single "Frutiger" font, with all the other six options as variants of this one. Which is way more practical, I think.

But since I've switched to LO 3.3.1, the old behaviour is kind of back again: One font named "Frutiger 45 light" which contains the original light and bold options, and one named "Frutiger 55 Roman" with a non-specified bold option. All my templates are using the unified font, and I can't be quite sure whether it's being applied correctly, For example with the OOo 3.2 behaviour, applying a "bold" modifier via template would always use the "66 Bold" style, regardless of wether the original font was light or Roman, now there are two different (I checked it, they are different) "bold" styles.

Is there a way to bring the old behaviour back? This is probably not a frequent problem, but it can mess up my layout pretty bad :(

Zak
What I know about fonts and the way it SHOULD be displayed in a menu is this: Every font file name should be listed in the "window" showing the font name. If you have Frutiger 45 Light and Frutiger 55 Roman as font names in your font folder [Windows or Linux], then each font should be displayed separately, not grouped together under one name Frutiger. I know that could sounds wrong. If you have Arial "plain", Italic, Bold, Bold Italic, etc., you get one listing for Arial and you can make use of all those styles. But you are using Frutiger 45 and 55 which are two different fonts. I have Caslon 224 and Caslon 540. These are two different fonts. The "45" and "55" are telling you that they are different fonts, and they should be listed separately. Now you have add a Font Weight to the font description such as Light and Roman. It just means those fonts are the Light and Roman version of "45" and "55".

For the Caslon font[s], I have the font name with the following added; 2, 3, 5, 12, 30, 42, 224, 335, 540, Antique, Bush, Old Face, Open Face, Book, Classico, Plain, Roman, Thin, Normal, Plain, Italic, Bold, Heavy, Semi-bold, Regular, Medium. So if I have a Caslon font called "Caslon 224 Book" with several styles, like italic, bold, bold-italic, etc., I expect it to be listed differently in the Font Menu than "Caslon 42" and its styles. The good thing about LibreOffice's treatment of fonts is that it can make a font be Italic and Bold even if there is not Italic and Bold font files to cover those styles. Most packages will show a Bold, Italic, and Underline option. But I rarely see a package that will have Heavy, Semi-Bold, Medium, Light, and such font weights. Therefore those need to be listed as different fonts, in most cases.

Why an software did it correctly, then it did not, then it went back to the correct way, I do not know what was going on. But You SHOULD see Frutiger 45 and a different entry in the list than Frutiger 55.

I hope I did not confuse you completely. Dealing with some designer's ideas of creating 25 version of the same font that look 95% the same, gives me headaches. I deal with a font project sorting out over 100,000 fonts where too many of the serif fonts looked like all the other serif fonts and if you overlap them, you get almost the same positions of the lines.