On 03/01/2011 02:50 AM, James Wilde wrote:

On Mar 1, 2011, at 04:48 , NoOp wrote:
Thanks, NoOp.  I decided to google on it, and discovered that I
was lacking a repository in my Synaptic.  Fixed that last night,
and now I have LioB installed.  Must just update it with the UK,
Swedish and Chinese dictionaries and stuff.

Hope that works for you. Personally, unless I were
testing/contributing for Ubuntu, I'd take ZenWiz's advise and
install from the libreoffice .debs.

I have issues with a PPA/package that insists on uninstalling (or
insisting that I uninstall) an existing OOo install simply because
the packager can't figure out how to install (or is too lazy to do
so) the LO package without affecting existing office packages. I
wonder just how many would find it acceptable if the LO PPA also
removed all other office packages (Abiword for instance) in the
process? Or if the TDF .deb required that you uninstalled your
distro OOo before installing. Amazing...

Please remember to report issues in launchpad & specify that you
are running the PPA version. Also, if you report issues here,
please do the same (specify that you are running a distro PPA
version).

My reply was not intended as a rejection of your suggestion, NoOp.

Not taken that way :-)

It was simply that, in the intervening period, I had manually removed
OOo, and managed to find out what I needed to do to get the LibO
repository registered in Ubuntu.  Amazing, as an aside, how quickly
one's knowledge of unix commands disappears when one stops using
them.  Since I retired I guess about 90% of what was once automatic
has evaporated.

I simply don't like the fact that PPA LO removes, requires the removal
of, OOo. I run multiple versions of OOo (OOo standard, (U)OOo, OOo-dev)
and LO. Often it is *very* handy to bring up some, or all, at the same
time so that I can compare issues between them. It also helps when a
'feature' on one fails, but works in the other. Example of the last is
Impress presentations; doesn't work in OOo-standard/OOo-dev. I'm beyond
messing about with Sun/Oracle's lame requirements of jmf - (U)OOo and LO
use gstreamer instead.

Since I now have LibO on the machine, albeit from the ppa, I'll see
how I get on with that one.  I'll test adding the UK, Swedish and
Chinese language packs, and see if they find the original US version,
and if, so, I'm happy.  I'm not in linux all that often nowadays.  If
not, I'll unload and reload from the LibO site version as you and
others have suggested.

No worries. Just please don't forget to mention what you are using when
posting here, and file bug reports at launchpad instead of bugzilla. If
you need help with doing that let me know.

Gary