Le 25/02/11 21:55, Don C. Myers a écrit :
Thank you for the help. I do know that the Java 1.6.0_24 update came
through about the same time as I did the LibreOffice upgrade. So it may
have just been coincidence that I had the problem with LibreOffice 3.3.1
and not 3.3.0.

I completely uninstalled Java 1.6.0_24 and unchecked the Partner
software source. I actually had several of those. However, when I go
back to find sun-java6-bin using synaptic it isn't there. I did do a
refresh of the repositories before I tried to find it. I would
appreciate knowing where you found it.

I have seen the slowness problem mentioned on two other lists now and
the apparent solution is to go back to 1.6.0_22 or earlier.

The 24 update only came through recently, since I update one of my
Ubuntu machines fairly regularly and it was installed this week, but I
haven't had a chance to see whether this will affect any of my existing
ODB files.

If you try typing in "java -version" in a terminal, what does it say ?
That will give you an idea of the JVM that is actually installed and
thereby point to the name of the packet. It may be that you have IcedTea
as a JVM instead of Sun JVM, or even OpenJDK.

Refreshing your repositories using synaptic will simply update the list
of available packets with the latest version, so finding an older JDK
through that is going to be hard to do. Either you have to find a
repository on the net that has the older version, and add that as a
software source, or you will have to download a package for the
particular version you want and install that (with whatever installation
mechanism they propose - installation script, dpkg -i, apt-get install
if it is a Ubuntu package, alien if RPM, etc). The problem is that you
will have to make sure that your regular system updates do not overwrite
the installed java version with another more recent one that may cause
the issue again, which, as an aside issue, will leave you vulnerable to
hacking exploits. Damned if you, damned if you don't - catch 22 !!

Alex