On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 3:23 PM, Don C. Myers <donmyers@myersfarm.com> wrote:
Update:

Here is how I have been installing LibreOffice:

 1. Downloaded the Debian version from LibreOffice.org
 2. Extracting the download to the desktop
 3. In the terminal running the following commands: (The exact
    commands vary with the version)
 4. sudo apt-get remove libreoffice*.*

Probably should be 'sudo apt-get purge libreoffice*.*'

What are you doing to remove the libobasis elements and the libure element?

 5. sudo dpkg -i
    ~/Desktop/LibO_3.3.1rc2_Linux_x86_install-deb_en-US/DEBS/*.deb
 6. sudo dpkg -i

~/Desktop/LibO_3.3.1rc2_Linux_x86_install-deb_en-US/DEBS/desktop-integration/libreoffice3.3-debian-menus_3.3-8_all.deb

That ought to work....

The first time I installed LibreOffice I ran "sudo apt-get remove
:
though. Everything just always worked fast until now!

I recommend using Synaptic to remove everything associated with
LibreOffice - libreoffice*, libure, all the elements of libreoffice
and all the libobasis elements.  It usually takes me two runs - the
first to get the outer level stuff (and checking every box that comes
up), then another to remove the libobasis elements.

If anyone wants it, I modified my LO installation script to allow for
a different directory name than what "should" match the tarball.  Note
this this script should be fairly easy to modify to use rpm instead of
dpkg:

#!/bin/bash
# Written by Mark A. Richter, Copyleft 2011
if [[ -z "$1" ]]; then
        echo "Usage: `basename $0` <install-tarball>"
        exit 1
fi

tgz=$1
if [[ ! -f $tgz ]]; then    # try adding the .tar.gz suffices...
        tgz="${tgz}.tar.gz"
        if [[ ! -f $tgz ]]; then
                echo "$tgz does not appear to be a gzipped tarball - please check
the file and try again."
                exit 1
        fi
fi
tar -xzf $tgz
dir=`basename $tgz .tar.gz`
if [[ ! -d $dir/DEBS ]]; then   # check the tarball for different name
        new=`tar -tf $tgz | head -1 | sed -e 's:/.*::'`
        if [[ $new != $dir && -d $new ]]; then
                dir=$new
        fi
fi
if [[ ! -d $dir/DEBS ]]; then
        echo "I can't see a DEBS subdirectory - check your tarball again."
        exit 1
fi
cd $dir/DEBS
sudo dpkg -i *.deb
if [[ -d desktop-integration ]]; then
        cd desktop-integration
        sudo dpkg -i *.deb
        cd ..
fi
cd ../..
echo "Shall I delete $dir?"
read nm
if [[ "$nm" == "y" || "$nm" == "Y" ]]; then
        echo "Deleting $dir..."
        rm -rf $dir
fi
echo "Done!"
echo ""

(If you want to use this, please be sure to keep the attribution.
Otherwise, it's free.)