Dear all,

Thanks for the many responses. The various messages (especially the ones on
encoding etc.) gave me a hint on how I might try and workaround the issue and I
am now happily subscribed although I am not 100% sure what the exact problem
was. I guess I should have suspected that it was more of a 'it's only me'
problem as google wasn't helping much.

First off, I should have specified in my first message that I was using the
gmane interface to post my initial request *because* I am not subscribed.

I was simply copying the email address from firefox into thunderbird (i.e.
manually not using the mailto: link) and sending it using my ISP's smtp. The
address was the correct one.

I eventually managed to subscribe by sending the email and replying to the
confirmation one from the ISP's webmail interface.

It doesn't seem to be a thunderbird isssue though, because I tested with
another account which lives in the same thunderbird profile using the same
procedure and everything work.

My suspect is there's 'something' (TM) going on on the ISP smtp but this is
really hard to know, as their customer care is terrible and they even closed
down the support forums.

Anyway, all's well that ends well... hopefully :)

Lorenzo