On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 9:53 AM, Tom Davies <tomdavies04@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
:
The first point is not news; it's more 'olds'.  Same with the 2nd point.  The
3rd point is an unpopular idea in this list that leads to bullying and is just
sad for an "Office Suite" list = it's an office suite for techies & geeks, not
for normal corporate or mainstream office users.  While people harangue or
harass or bully me about stating this rather than considering why i might make
this claim it remains one of the reasons that blocks LibreOffice and OpenOffice
from widespread mainstream usage.

Tom, to be perfectly honest, while I really hate to bounce around in a
thread trying to figure out who said what in what order because of
mixed top, inline and bottom posting, it is possible (thought backing
up the thread is easier and clearer).

I object more to things like excessive blank lines (they add nothing
but a need to scroll through more space), introductory smileys (not
needed, waste of space like blank lines, etc.) and complete reposting
of large chunks of messages that a) were already posted on the thread
and b) don't relate directly to the current reply.

Why?

Because it makes me work harder to find what I need to know, weeded
out from that which I already knew.  Often as not, it only takes a
little effort to trim the excess, and that includes both top
(typically earlier replies) and bottom (mainly the footer, but
anything after the last new part of the reply).

Brevity is not only the soul of wit, it is in the essence of problem
solving - cut away that which is not directly relevant and you are
left with a clearer path to the solution, especially in email
discussions.

Just my $0.02.  FTR, I think most of your posts are very helpful to
the less experienced or sophisticated users, and sometimes even old
hats like me.