I am trying to find a list of file formats recognised by 'Base'.

I have opened Dbase III files with Calc and it allows me to delete fields and edit data OK, without corrupting the file (although it did not retain the code page flag).

If I try and open a Visual Foxpro table Calc baulks *as it has always done* and the file is shown in the import CSV Wizard as a scrambled mess.

If I use 'Base' I can open both the DbaseIII and VFP tables, without any corruption occurring. This caught me by surprise as a Linux ODBC driver does not exist and to my knowledge there is no 'translator' available.

Can someone provide some details regarding this functionality (e.g. what library is being used to access the data)?

Is the VFP table manipulation restricted in any way?

I note that memo fields don't appear to be editable, although attempts at editing the field results in no corruption of the data. That is, a VFP table opened that has a memo, data inserted in the memo field, then opened again in VFP showed no obvious corruption.

--
Cheers Simon

   Simon Cropper
   Principal Consultant