[ From users@libreoffice.org (T. R. Valentine) on Friday, February 11, 2011 ]

My LO Writer/Win XP does seem to struggle with the file, so the
problem can definitely be replicated.

Same here, LibO 3.3 on Vista. It's very sluggish to navigate.

In terms of general comments, I don't have the stroke to convince my ~1300-person employer to move
away from MSO, but this kind of thing would almost certainly be a showstopper in most people's
eyes. OOo/LibO is great in so many ways, but I've long been disappointed by its often poor
"interactive" performance, particularly in regard to speed of program launching, document loading
and interactive document handling. Sometimes I'll copy / paste from webpages into Writer and I've
often seen the resulting doc just grind to a halt for quite a while. It's not just a matter of
caching - It will often continue to be slow when moving from page to page. It's been that way for a
long time.

IMO, if functional UI / document performance and handling speed for normal-sized documents can be
fixed, that will be a major milestone forward to favorably compete with MSO. I'm not a developer,
but am willing to help in any way I can.

--
Len Philpot - l e n @ p h i l p o t . o r g   (no spaces)
<>   http://philpot.org/ - http://lphilpot.zenfolio.com