On 02/09/2011 04:06 PM, Fabian Rodriguez wrote:

On 11-02-09 09:44 AM, webmaster for Kracked Press Productions wrote:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LibreOffice

Ubuntu's site states:

quote: "If you're using Ubuntu, don't install LibreOffice manually from
the ".deb" files available at LibreOffice.org
<https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LibreOffice.org>. Otherwise you will not get
automatic updates&  upgrades when new versions come out and you will be
missing the integration to Ubuntu. Using official packages also ensures
you get the best assistance from the community as this is the
recommended method to install&  use LibreOffice in Ubuntu"

They want you to use the PPA link or their repository for the latest
updates.
Hi there - I initially wrote the above documentation. Using the PPA is
only needed for 10.04LTS and 10.10.

It also states:
"A PPA is always considered a third-party application and unfit for
production purposes (as far as official commercial support goes),
however LibreOffice is becoming part of Ubuntu in April 2011, and this
PPA is the source for such official version. Make sure you test this
appropriately if you intend to use this in a production environment
under Ubuntu 10.04 LTS or 10.10. "

Actually, I found that the OOo web site updated quicker and more often
than Ubuntu's repository for their version of OOo.  I do not think they
will be any faster with LibreOffice updates.
Of course - LibO has a different release shedule than LibO. Only stable
Ubuntu releases will have any LibO version. The PPA is considered a
development version. When LibO is officially released in Ubuntu (April
this year), there may be a "LibO-stable" PPA and a "LibO-dev" PPA or
else - Mozilla packages are managed in a similar way.

Yes, it will be much easier to keep up-to-date when LibreOffice is in
its repository and then find that there is an update shown in the daily,
weekly, etc., update schedule that you set in your update manager.
Right now there is not an important delay that I can see between the
LibO releases and the PPA. Canonical has assigned staff to it and bugs
are being worked on, assigned, etc. The situation is improving. So in
practical terms, there is no significant "lag" between the PPA and .deb
packages.

  But
there will be a time lag between LibreOffice's updates on their web site
and Ubuntu's repository.  So, the "no not install manually" statement
may be taken the wrong way be some users as if there is something wrong
with LibreOffice's own downloads.

It's one of those golden rules in most GNU/Linux distributions. In
Ubuntu it's even more present: USE A PACKAGE MANAGER ANY AND EVERY TIME
YOU CAN. .debs are the last choice.

Even the fact someone would use the PPA is considered by far a more
advanced technical level than just going to the Ubuntu Software Center.

The advantages of having the latest version of LibO right to the minute
compared to the problems and maintenance .debs may generate really
justify using the PPA (for 10.10 and 10.04LTS).

Cheers,

Fabián

- --
LibreOffice questions ? Des questions sur LibreOffice ? Preguntas acerca
de LibreOffice ? Ask LibreOffice: http://libreoffice.shapado.com/
~
Fabián Rodríguez
http://wiki.documentfoundation.org/User:MagicFab

What about the text that, if I read it correctly, LibreOffice and OpenOffice.org cannot be installed and run on the same machine? I know that with Ubuntu 10.10 that OOo 3.3 and LibreOffice 3.3 runs well on my desktop. The only problem is the default runtime application for the file formats. Sometimes OOo opens and other time LibreOffice opens depending on the file extension. One day soon, I may dump OOo altogether and just have LibreOffice on my Ubuntu desktop and Vista Laptop, but not now. I need to support OOo for my former clients that still call me, and others that have not switched over to LibreOffice yet.

Is there some problem with LibreOffice and OOo being installed on the same Ubuntu Desktop? Is there some problem that is coming up with the new desktop manager in Ubuntu 11.04 that does not like both on the same machine? I do not know if I even like what I have read about the new desktop manager for 11.04, so it will be interesting.

I know that you think that installing from the .deb files is the "last resort", but sometimes it is just "easier" than waiting for the repositories to get the next version of a package to install. I like my update manager for Ubuntu, but sometimes I do not want to wait.