On 7 February 2011 11:36, emarkay <mrk@emarkay.com> wrote:

In doing a bit of research for a previous post, I wanted to make a comparison
to MS Office and some of the issues that the Documentation Foundation should
look into to strengthen LO in the field.

Now, for full disclosure, I haven't used any MS program any more than when I
absolutely had to (very occasionally; yes, I started with Word Perfect for
DOS..) but I had no idea that that the MSO Suite was, and is, so evidently
flawed!!!

I also used WordPerfect 5.x for DOS (and, later, for Windows 3.1). I
also used WordPerfect 6.0 for DOS which had a very nice GUI -- so nice
that, if all DOS apps had been as nicely done, I'm not sure Windows
would have taken off. But WordPerfect went through several ownership
changes, fell behind, and has pretty much disappeared outside of the
legal profession.

I don't think one can expect a fair comparison from Linux users. MSO
is not available for their OS and they will be -- naturally and
understandably -- biased in favour of open source software. The
average level of technical knowledge amongst Linux users is WAY higher
than that of the average Windows users.

The biggest advantage of MSO is that it is Microsoft. Back in the
1980s it was common to find IT people say 'no one ever got fired for
buying IBM'. Today, one replaces IBM with Microsoft. It is a safe
selection.

But if one looks at the features, there isn't that much difference --
except in the price tag. And one will have to look long and hard to
find a user who needs features that cannot be found in LO/OO. I
suspect a lot more workplaces and individuals would be very happy with
LO/OO -- if only they knew about it. The second biggest advantage for
MSO is that it gets advertised. LO/OO rely on word-of-mouth so it is
far less known.

I've encountered a lot of IT people who support the Windows
environment who have never even heard of LO/OO. It isn't even on their
radar. And this even applies to IT people who have some familiarity
with open source software!

IMO, one of the greatest strengths of LO/OO over MSO is that it has a
familiar menu. I know *why* Redmond introduced the 'ribbon', but it
gives me trouble still and I know a lot of users who also find the
ribbon frustrating. Yet, there are people who (because they were
forced to use the ribbon) became familiar with it and have adapted. I
think people using a version of MSO earlier than 2007 are excellent
candidates to switch to LO/OO. The learning curve from pre-2007 MSO to
LO/OO would be a lot less (negligible) than is presented by the
ribbon.

--
T. R. Valentine
Your friends will argue with you. Your enemies don't care.