On 01/27/2011 09:05 AM, Alexander Thurgood wrote:
Le 26/01/11 18:58, webmaster@krackedpress.com a écrit :

Hi,

I was wondering why it has taken so long for a Base "book"
to come out in the documentation.  Not even in version 2.x
has one like Writer and Calc, etc..

Not strictly true, a few links :

http://www.pitonyak.org/database/AndrewBase.pdf
http://www.pitonyak.org/database/

http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/database-programming-with-openofficeorg-base-basic/3568728

Both of these are excellent in my opinion. Bear in mind, for the latter,
the use of the OOoBasic language to program with Base is a moving target
unfortunately, and one in which where things that worked say, in 2.x,
stopped working in 3.0, then worked again in 3.1, worked partly in 3.2
and then in 3.3 new quirks were discovered...However, the fundamentals
are there and it really is a very good reference. He also has a site
dedicated to Base programming :

http://www.baseprogramming.com/resources.html

If you read German, there is an excellent book by Thomas Krumbein,
regularly updated (generally after each new version release) entirely
dedicated to Base (he has also written books specifically for the other
main modules).

http://www.chapitre.com/CHAPITRE/fr/BOOK/krumbein-thomas/datenbanken-mit-openoffice-org-3-base-und-hsqldb,25063905.aspx

And in French :

http://www.editions-eni.fr/Livres/Base-Le-gestionnaire-de-bases-de-donnees-de-OpenOffice-org-3/.6_3a6222cf-b921-41f5-886c-c989f77ba994_ecee104b-5b6c-404d-a6a1-8028758c9b5e_97156302-3b39-4f11-8947-9480dd52bafa_1_0_d9bd8b5e-f324-473f-b1fc-b41b421c950f.html

I haven't looked in other languages, but as you can see, there _is_
documentation available. Additionally, the forums are replete with Base
tutorials, code snippets, tips and tricks, and several journalists who
write articles for PC magazines of various flavours have also
contributed to the wealth of Base knowledge out there. The problem lies
more in finding everything in one place.

The OpenOffice.org website / wiki also contain a fair amount of
information about using Base.

Alex
Well, I just was wondering when I started this thread why as far back
as version 2.x for OOo there was not .odt/.pdf "book" in the list as are
for Writer, Calc, Impress, and Draw.  Even Math has is own document.
But lowly Base was left behind since the 2.x days.

I have not used a database for any real work since dBase IV days and
before that I wrote relational databases in COBOL for a mainframe.
I never learned MS's database even back when I started using its suite
in the early Win 95/98 days.  I never needed it so I never learned it.

But for an outside person, and you get this from a MSO person, there
would be a wonder why should "they" use OOo or LibreO suite, if the
people who write the documentation ignores something as major as
a database package.  What can I tell people who wonder why there is
documentation from OOo and/or LibreO for everything but the
database package?  Why did the document writers not write anything
for Base for several years?  People have asked these types of questions.
They can get MSO documentation, but why should they use OOo/LibreO
if they cannot get the same for "this" office suite.

As I said, I do not use any database package, and it has been a long
time since I needed to use one.  There has to be document writers
that use Base, or Base users that could write something that can be
edited by experienced document writers.