Hi Nigel,

sorry I forgot to answer you:

On 4/16/19 11:42 AM, Nigel Verity wrote:
Liberation and social responsibility should certainly appeal to individuals, but any
justification for using LO which strays into the territory of "politics" may be of less appeal to
companies. There will surely be decision-makers who have a social conscience but in the main I
would suggest that a company which selects its business applications based on ethics rather than
functionality is not doing its job properly. I don't necessarily applaud that standpoint but I
think it is a fact all the same.

See my answer to Jonathon: "A agree but you seem to reduce freedom to
ethics. What I wanted to underline is that the "battlefield of freedom"
offers a superior position for LO for a very wide audience: Commercial
organizations will get the freedom of indipendence (that's why Google&Co
use GNU/Linux for server farms and not Windows). So "freedom" can mean
"commercial autonomy" as well that's why the argumentation would allow
LO to address any kind of audience by convincing users with a "feature"
that no one else can offer (freedom)."

In short, I don't think LO should be promoted like those adverts we see proclaiming "buy our
product because x% of our profits go to charity".

Sure. adverts like this were never an implication of my point of view
because IT-Monopolists will be much better on the "battlefield of
charity" as well (more money and more marketing power to infiltrate this
sector, exmaple: "Charities on Facebook") [1].

LO is world-class software that justifies its existence on functionality alone. I think the
challenge is to get the ethics message across without its being seen as a "bolt on" to increase
its appeal further.

Sorry, I disagree. If you don't derive the functionality advantages from
the ethical aspects you will loose any debate, but I think I've written
enough about this perspective.

Best regards
Roland

[1] https://nonprofits.fb.com/en-gb/