Le 2014-12-14 12:57, K-J LibreOffice a écrit :

I don't think that we have to hurry so. We shouldn't do it. If you start
the contest mid/end week 51 (if you have discussed and fixed the rules
in that time), promotion should happen in week 51/52 between all the
christmas mails and songs and so on. The RC2 is in week 2, the RC3 is
two weeks later. For voting you need about one week. There would be no
time for discussions, improvements, especially it's holiday time and
some people are on vacation starting December 20th.

So:
Start the contest before christmas with 4 weeks open to get proposals.
Promote it before christmas and after holiday (January 5th) again.
Deadline: January 18th
One week for discussion and opportunities to improve the proposals.
Maybe two days for the defined group to veto.
Vote (on ml) for one week.

So we have a result earliest January 27th and we get in 4.4.1.

Just my 2cts.

Phew ... coming in really late on this discussion and having read the other recent comments elsewhere,

I also agree with KJ that there is no need to hurry. IMO, better to give people enough lead time and time to develop nice templates is better than to push for a fast submission. At least making the contest result for the roll-out of 4.4.1 will allow the serious template designers some time to submit quality work rather than hurried work. I can't imagine a serious template developer hurrying with a template submission and compromising quality ... we risk getting submitted templates that are more alpha-early-beta than getting polished templates ready for user/commercial use.

We often worry about lack of community involvement, but, when there is a wonderful occasion where community involvement with such a contest where there is a low-entry level of understanding of LibreOffice and where template usage is directed towards our users, we do not even provide users the chance to vote on a template contest ... surely a users idea of what a good and purposeful template would be different from a designer's perspective.

IMO, I would even be in favour of pushing this to 4.4.2 or later to leave ample time for user voting ... templates usage are always driven by user usage, and users are quick to recognize the utility of a good template, they would need some time to experiment with any submitted templates before voting.

IMO, the template contest is being put on in too much of a short time-frame, will have no community-building value to it -- the users will not even have a say as to which template(s) they find useful.

Why not just call the contest, and, as newly submitted templates come in, have the designer team do a quick test to QA their addition to the 4.4.x series, and then have users vote on the most useful template sometime around 4.4.2 or 4.4.4 ... this will give users enough time to try out the templates and we will gain more in community involvement. It would not stop the designers from voting on their choice of template, which could still be run in conjunction with the user choice.

I also worry that we are giving our user base the impression that contests such as these are put on quickly without proper lead time ... I am not sure it helps our brand that is highly recognized and respected. Sometimes, taking a little extra time will help show our user base that we value quality and that our contests are taken seriously.

Marc Paré
Marc@MarcPare.com
http://www.parEntreprise.com