Hi Kendy, Charles,
Am 14.12.2014 um 13:23 schrieb Charles-H. Schulz:
Hello Jan,

Le Fri, 12 Dec 2014 12:40:51 +0100,
Jan Holesovsky <kendy@collabora.com> a écrit :

Hi Charles, all,

Charles-H. Schulz píše v Čt 11. 12. 2014 v 10:50 +0100:

What we must decide is the process itself.

Very good questions.  Because the time is extremely short for 4.4, we
have straightened this up so that we can publish the PR ASAP:

1) how do people register and upload their templates
The submission will be trivial - just a mail to this list, we'll
collect the templates on a wiki page as they arrive.

Maybe as a starting point a Whiteboard:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Design/Whiteboards/Default_Template

2) what categories do we define

Authors of the templates propose the category, we'll then define the
final categories according to the templates that arrive :-)

Should we define some rules? E.g. branding or so?
Specified rules should be adhered to. So every template which brokes the rules should not be voted on.

3) who decides/votes

The Design team at one of the weekly hangouts.  The decision process
will be simple - for each template that arrives, either a general
consensus on the given template, or it is not included for 4.4.0 (and
can be re-evaluated for later inclusion).

I had thought we would make it really inclusive (i.e. inviting everyone
to vote); is it not desirable?

I don't think that it is a good and community friendly choice to vote at one of the weekly hangouts. I'm e.g. not able to attend.
We should vote on ml as we did many times before.
I think a little group of Design and Marketing people should have a veto against a template. This can happen on PM with the rule Jan mentioned:
"for each template that arrives, either a general
consensus on the given template, or it is not included for 4.4.0 (and
can be re-evaluated for later inclusion)..""
If we get too many proposals the Design and Marketing team can make a selection to vote on.

The last big vote (4.0 branding) was (on my opinion) a real desaster: A hurry-up voting and discussing at Google+, stopped by BoD, after that voted at google docs (). The winning object broke the defined and branding rules (which is up to now not solved in a good way).

4) deadline and scheduling.

Needs to happen in time for RC2 (beginning of January), so that there
is still chance to do changes for RC3.  Of course, if any good
templates arrive later, they'll be still appreciated, and can be
included in later versions (4.4.x).

I don't think that we have to hurry so. We shouldn't do it. If you start the contest mid/end week 51 (if you have discussed and fixed the rules in that time), promotion should happen in week 51/52 between all the christmas mails and songs and so on. The RC2 is in week 2, the RC3 is two weeks later. For voting you need about one week. There would be no time for discussions, improvements, especially it's holiday time and some people are on vacation starting December 20th.

So:
Start the contest before christmas with 4 weeks open to get proposals. Promote it before christmas and after holiday (January 5th) again.
Deadline: January 18th
One week for discussion and opportunities to improve the proposals.
Maybe two days for the defined group to veto.
Vote (on ml) for one week.

So we have a result earliest January 27th and we get in 4.4.1.

Just my 2cts.

--
Grüße
k-j