Hi *,

On Mon, Sep 8, 2014 at 4:09 PM, Florian Effenberger
<floeff@documentfoundation.org> wrote:

one of the items discussed in Bern was to set-up a conference planning tool.

What's the deadline for a testing/proofing phase?

Basic features needed are
call for papers, registration of participants and speakers,

That's all easily done in any system I guess :-))

and an easy (!)
scheduling.

That's the tricky part to do properly and as well userfriendly.

[...]
Before thinking about coming up with our own solution, we should check what
existing tools are on the market, or if other projects are working on that
(I heard rumors that other FLOSS projects are already funding efforts here).

Did not try myself yet, but pentabarf http://www.pentabarf.org might
seem a possible basis. Although no recent conferences listed as
planned with that too, it offers all from speaker management to
scheduling with basic conflict management.

As the post was ~a month ago, time already to collect the proposals
and start with trying them out? Or do people have more proposals?

So far there were:
* https://github.com/openSUSE/osem (Open Source Event Manager)
  No idea how to actually use that, as there is no clear pointer to
either screenshots or some guidelines/tutorials... All I know from
quick search is that there's an app for it (obviously :-) - and that
there was a GSoC project for a dashboard view
https://news.opensuse.org/2014/07/30/gsoc-open-source-event-manager-organizer-dashboard/

* http://www.lalescu.ro/liviu/fet/ (Free Timetabling Software)
  only covers the schedule - was used this year
  good for automatic timetables

* unnamed tool used by T-Dose
  drupal with lots of additional stuff - "quite a job to setup, but
then looks nice"

* https://github.com/hasgeek/funnel (Paper Submission and Voting)
  no end-user/usage docs, used widely for FLOSS events in India

* http://www.pentabarf.org (see above)
   quite old (last commit in 2010) - but would cover more or less
everything from speaker management, submittions and schedules
   DebConf uses it afaict (even if no current events are listed in
pentabarf's wiki - debconf pages refer to pentabarf-accounts, etc) -
at least they set it up for the '13 conference
http://penta.debconf.org/penta/submission/
   FOSDEM uses it https://penta.fosdem.org/submission/
   OpenRheinRuhr uses it http://event.openrheinruhr.de/submission

* homebrew implementation