Hello William,

Le 15.06.2014 18:50, William Gathoye a écrit :

Hi Charles, *

First, thanks you all for your feedback, I'm really pleased ;-)

On 06/14/2014 09:43 AM, Charles-H. Schulz wrote:
- could you describe how you select content?
Actually, as I'm subscribed to all ML lists, I take the time to read
all what I find interesting on ML and Bugzilla.

The subjects I find interesting are:
- - the rather long threads on ML: having a brief summary of the current
situation of the discussion is always great;
- - the most recurrent subjects;
- - subject difficult to understand;
- - controversial topics;
- - first contributions;
- - progress on the hackfest organization.

nice, I like your approach!

- you can make it attractive if we give you a few logos, but surely
you need acccess to our wiki or some sort of official blog for
this... interested?
I want to keep the document as clean as possible, and will include
only additional content needed for the comprehension of the article
like X/Y graphics, modified feature in the GUI, etc.

So I'm thinking about putting this newsletter online, meaning, on a wiki or on a blog post; then ensuring it can be spread via mailing list (text only) so we'll have to work on the style itself, although most of it can be improved by the choice of the right online platform. A text only solution is not only useful but can co-exist; it's all about "refactoring" the message.

Publishing a PDF document via Twitter wasn't clearly the ideal format
to use. Making LOWN official would be nice, indeed.

I think we should do this, probably by adding a bit more content though. See below.

Sorry for having used LaTeX, I know from a marketing POV it isn't
great. But what I wanted was:
- - be allowed to use Vim: I don't like to use a GUI for writing: it is
distracting and hurting my eyes.
- - have an auto-citation system;
- - see the changes made between 2 commits.

What the hell are you doing contributing to Libreoffice then? :p

LaTeX and Github were answering these problem quite nicely. As Git is
used more effectively on text-based files, I needed a text based tool
like markdown or LaTeX. I dropped markdown since it has not citation
system. The remaining defacto solution was the LaTeX.

More seriously: use whatever tool you like, just don't think of it as a document but as a webpage. Better use txt + html. Again,, we want to have this online, not as a document or just as a text.

- again, thank you for all this I like the breadth and quality of
content. Let's make this a collaborative effort.
For sure. But the initial idea was to keep it oriented to developers
as much possible. Although I'm not against to broaden the audience. If
you have interesting content I'm not aware of, you can let me know and
I will gonna integrate it.

At first, I thought that
- - using pull requests on Github
- - and sending content via email for those who don't use Github
would be a great idea.

After a discussion on #libreoffice-fr, I realised that a Wiki page for
each LOWN is a great solution.

yup; perhaps even an official blog platform. What do you think?

I can still use Vim if I copy paste the changes to the wiki, the
commit are saved and we have block references with [1].

Are you confident in that extension?

- we can see how best to circulate this newsletter and make not
just a tool for the outside, but a means of information for the
entire project.

At this stage, we should improve it on two levels then imho:
-formatting/style/web page
- adding more non-developers topic: native-lang communities, localization work matters a lot and I expect this newsletter to be read by them as one of our major audiences.

Best,

Charles.