________________________________
From: Ian Whitfield <hidden>
To: "users@global.libreoffice.org" <users@global.libreoffice.org>
Sent: Friday, 10 May 2013, 14:34
Subject: Re: [libreoffice-users] Base data-loss and other problems

Hi All

Tom says ...
I'm fairly sure that quite a few people have had troubles with the internal back-end that were
solved by 'just' moving to an external back-end.  I vaguely remember someone even suffering
data-loss using the embedded/internal back-end.  Was there a bug-report?  Should people be
encouraged to stick with the internal/embedded back-end or warned off from it?

And Hank replied ...
My experience with the embedded database in Base has convinced me to move
to an external back-end. I have had several instances of data loss
particularly during sessions of heavy data input.
While I'm in the process of moving my database to an external  H2 database,
I still use the embedded database carefully, however. I backup the embedded
database before adding data, sparingly or working with the Report Writer.
Both of these activitie have resulted in data loss in the past. I still
like Base as a front end, however.

I have to agree with you 200% Tom - and if some people don't like it -
too bad!!

IT'S TRUE!! - The 'Embedded engine/Base Front End' combination is a
disaster!! I have been using Base for about 7 years now and had nothing
but problems. It's slow, crashes all the time, freezes etc etc and
FREQUENTLY takes the data file with it when it crashes. The only
recourse is to back-up all the time, (several times each session), so
that you can get back at your data and be prepared to enter stuff more
than once during a busy session.

Because of this I HAVE LOST and/or had to re-enter data time and time
again!!
This is supported by Hank above I see, (and I'm sure many others)!!

Late last year I converted to MySQL as the Backend and Base as the Front
End. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!! As I said to people it's like getting out of
your old broken-down, unreliable Beetle and driving around in the latest
Rolls Royce!! Solid, fast, never crashes and is just fantastic!!

I'm currently running BOTH set-ups, on two different machines
side-by-side, for cross checking purposes and the difference is
startling when you do this. The one is slow and plodding, (and still
crashes), and the other "just works" - and fast!!

IMHO the current engine in Base should be dropped, (or fixed), and a
change made to make stand-alone Base of any serious use.
I saw recently a mention of wanting to do this and change to Firebird!!
(??)

For now I'm VERY happy with my 'MySQL/Base combination!!

Best wishes

IanW
Pretoria RSA