Hi Ian, Evans,

Ian Lynch wrote (08-04-13 23:12)
On 8 April 2013 07:45, Evans Ikua <ikua.evans@gmail.com> wrote:

Thanks a lot Ian for that info and the work that you are doing with
certification, especially based on LO. My thinking is that TDF would be
better placed to work with your organization to lend more credence to the
certification, as well as working with other regional organizations to
support the certification.

I think there is no hesitance to do so, apart from the fact that doing certification is not simple, and a lot of work.

Currently the work is on a certification program for professionals supporting various parts of migrations to LibreOffice (*), and not in the certification of individuals for their skills in using LibreOffice.

I think one way that proprietary companies
normally beat us is o certification and accreditation. Also, looking at the
more successful OSS projects, having a certification programme is normally
a strategic initiative and a show of maturity of the solution, thereby
gaining more trust in the marketplace.

I agree with you 100%. There has always been a degree of confusion about
the word certification and what it means. The difficulty is that the
commercial demand for LO certification is currently limited - at least here
in the UK and from the feedback I have from EU colleagues in the EU. That
is why none of the mainstream awarding organisations like C&G, CompTIA,
Cambridge Assessment, Pearson etc do it. Although they have done some
things with LPI it is glacially slow and no-one in those organisations has
much idea of FOSS or if there is a potential market.

Indeed it's a tough market.

We want to be helpful
to FOSS but in the end something has to pay the wages and development costs
of things we are already committed to so there is a limit to what time I
can put into things right now.

I think just as you, many would be happy if they could pick some more time from the trees ;-)

Any sniff of conflict or hassle is a
big deterrent as far as I am concerned. Since you are already trained in
our systems, if you have a market, it is easy to support you with the
certification technology etc. at no cost to you until you start making it
pay. We understand the difficulties in getting started.  We will do what we
can to help you get some traction. If TDF want to endorse such a project in
Kenya it will probably help, if they don't I doubt it is a showstopper but
you would have to make that decision, you know the local environment best.

Since there is no user LibreOffice certification available now, and the other still in development, the best I think is that one can show to be part of the LibreOffice ecosystem by using the logo conform the guide lines.
Would that be helpful?

Maybe do it as a restricted pilot and see how it goes to find out what
lessons can be learnt for extending later to other areas. I think most
people under-estimate how difficult it is to get this sort of thing going.
Difficult, not impossible.

Any experience that can be shared indeed is valuable.

Kind regards,
Cor

--
 - Cor