Hi Harri,

Thanks for the information!

Le 2012-10-15 12:00, Harri Pitkänen a écrit :
On Sunday 14 October 2012, Marc Paré wrote:
Maybe if we just added a "Not applicable in Finland" or something to the
effect that the donation process is not for Finland.

I wonder if just a simple sentence just as this would be enough?

I think it would be enough but I'm not a lawyer so I don't know for sure.

What
are other large projects doing?

I posted this question to the cross-project mailing list of Finnish free
software localizers. So far nobody has admitted translating any donation
links. One participant managed to get a lawyer's opinion on the matter and
according to the lawyer it seems likely that distributing the donation link is
indeed illegal in Finland (without a permit).

This is what I managed to find by myself:

Firefox:
   - No donation links in the software package, no donation links on translated
     Finnish web pages.
Apache OOo:
   - There is an English donation link on the Finnish web page as a part of the
     standard site footer (not done by the Finnish localizer). I don't think
     there are donation links in the software package?
debian.org:
   - Finnish web site contains a request to donate "hardware or services". This
     is legal here, the restrictions only apply to direct monetary donations.
ubuntu-fi.org
   - No donation links that I could find. I don't know what plans the
     localizers have for the upcoming releases where there might be donation
     links within the software.
Wikipedia:
   - Has translated donation form in Finnish. But the project is also
     incorporated in Finland as a registered non-profit so they could
     have the required permit. Nothing in their financial report suggests that
     they have it though.

Anyway it is important to know that people in Finland are free to donate to
the TDF if the want (and manage to find out how from the international
website). The only thing that is forbidden is to ask them to donate. So there
is no need to exclude anyone from the donation form, we just need to avoid any
links or suggestions to do so in any material that is distributed in Finland.

Harri

--
Marc Paré
Marc@MarcPare.com