Hello Marc,

Le vendredi 12 octobre 2012 à 21:30 -0400, Marc Paré a écrit :
Le 2012-10-12 18:29, Charles-H. Schulz a écrit :
One more thing : I expect that after Berlin we will change the focus of
this marketing list  to a more task based mailing list. Right now the list
is not productive and has no focus, and we need to change that. In this
context I would very wellsee the forum working as a "catchall" suggestions
and ideas for Libreoffice and marketing. What do you think?

Best,

Charles.

Sounds like a good idea.

However, I would still like the idea that, from a philosophical point of
view, we use any contributor forums as  an entry-point for interested
users to move from one of user-centric to contributor. This, from my
point of view, would be one of the tasks (I would like to see this as
more of a mandate from the BoD) of the forums coordinators (we are 5) as
well as moderators (so far, we have 7-9 interested members (some of whom
include the coordinators)).

As far as moving the marketing team to a more productive and task
oriented team, well, sure. However, we have to keep in mind the
meritocratic base of our philosophy. If the marketing team member(s) do
not feel like contributing on a task oriented model, and focus more on
personal projects, then, by our own philosophy, if this shows merit and
interest, it is OK. The task oriented model would have little effect. We
will need more marketing members to make a task oriented model work.

Of course we cannot force people to do things they don't like. But we
can determine tasks and attract volunteers for these. That'll be our
goal.

As for getting the marketing team members on-board, you only need to
read back through the past 50 or so marketing mailing list posts to
realize that there are really only 4-5 contributor members left. IMO, we
need to re-boot the marketing team, organize the marketing as you say,
but also try to find ways to attract new membership to our section --
IMO, the best vehicle would be a Marketing forums.

+1 to all you wrote except for the forums :-) or rather: don't think
that forums (or any tool, fo that matter, will be the solution. Teamwork
and processes are).

Also, and this is crucial to making the marketing section work, we need
to re-work the design section and assure some cooperation between the
teams. There too, there has been a severe drop in membership (design
members) and there is very little movement going on there. We have to
find ways to attract membership there as well. We are well vested in
UX-design members, but not with members willing to work on marketing
design requests. These are the kind of members we need. To be honest, I
was going to suggest that we split the design section to design and UX.
The design team's work would be to work closely with the marketing team
so that designs for marketing purposes would be more easily addressed.

We can catch all the ideas we want, but if we do not have any
contributing marketing members along with contributing design members,
these ideas will not fly.

The Design team has and is doing ten times more than what's been done
here and what is highly enjoyable is that they managed to keep the noise
ratio very low (i.e people posting general ideas and discussing general
matters as if the list was a parlor , AND focusing solely on the
activities and work).

We need more coordination that's for sure, but my perception is that the
Design team was trucking  ahead and the marketing "team" wasn't doing
much that the design team could really work with anyway.

So to keep it short: we have some real work waiting for us.

Best,
Charles.

Marc Paré
Marc@MarcPare.com