Hi Fabian,

Thanks for sharing all of this. Actually, this made a good read! Really interesting.

Le 2012-08-30 08:05, Fabian Rodriguez a écrit :

On 08/30/2012 06:18 AM, Marc Paré wrote:
Hi Fabian,

What wonderful news and great help to the school. Were you hired for
the install etc.,

Yes, I was hired under my (freelance) consulting company
(http://www.legoutdulibre.com).

The original job was to act as an onsite technician to connect the
equipment and train staff with MS Windows/Office.

I developped this into a full free/open source training + installation
project over the course of the last 1.5 yr. or so.

was this for and aid group? Photos?

This was financed by a third party, the contract was done by me for
MicroRecycCoop (http://microrecyc.wordpress.com/ ). They send other
people to Africa too for similar projects. The end-customer is the
Clercs de St-Viateur who have several (many!) buildings and schools
there. Anyone wanting more details can contact MRC directly.

I am working with them to offer local workshops and to have the next
shipment use LTSP (Linux Terminal Server Project) instead of stand-alone
installs. A few ideas that have come up include giving away recycled
servers for students, or perhaps RaspberryPis... Lots to do.

It's always nice to hear of someone helping out in areas where help is
needed and where LibreOffice will make a difference.

The interesting single fact is everyone I introduced free software to
(and that mostly started with LibO which everyone needs/understands) had
very little hesitation to wipe out completely their PCs and / or MS
suite. Their mainly concern is why they didn't know about it before. I
had to convince some of them to take a "safer' approach in some cases so
LibO would be adopted gradually. In some cases I was lucky to witness
"brutal adoption" :)

Most students and teacher also have their own laptop (!) so that gave
them a lot of control over their learning experience.

Big thanks for the groundbreaking work at MRC. This would look great as a blog article on
our blog planet -- even in French!

MRC already used Ubuntu, but the pressure from Microsoft to use only
Windows is heavy. At $6 per OEM XP license, it's hard to compete, even
being free. MRC is taking the "eco-friendly" approach in their recycling
business and place high the same values free software brings, so it was
an easy match. I just happened to show up in the right place at the
right time.

I'd encourage anyone with a nearby recycling/PC shop (particularly
small, neighborhood businesses) to engage in this conversation: what
software do they ship? Do they know about free, open source software?
LibreOffice? Do they know it can be heavily customized/adapated to their
local market? etc. Come back here if you have more questions :)

Maybe some of your students will jump in and help out with a Haitian Créole translation of
LibreOffice.

Very much so. I don't speak the language but I did bring some focus to
my stay to this important subject. The spelling aid is the most
important IMO right now, if that is well done many more people will use
LibO there. Then there's other similar resources that will get anyone
interested to translate and learn such workflows - Wikipedia in Creole
and OPenStreetMap documentation in creole.

I created the LibrePlanet Haiti group (LIbrePlanet are FSF communities /
groups) to keep track / expose these projects more and have a discussion
place, such projects are listed there:
http://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:LibrePlanet_Haiti#Traductions

One of the students there also translated my presentation on free open
source software to Creole and he succesfully co-presented a few times to
local staff/students.

Translating LibO presentations to Creole (and other languages) would be
an interesting first-step (in LibO marketing, specifically) to introduce
LibO but also to recruit devs/translators in any country where there
aren't any already.

Do we have such a presentation? I lack the time to research this but if
we have a standard "INtroducing Libo" presentation, I'd love to propose
it for translation there.

Cheers,

- --
Fabián Rodríguez