On 12/14/2011 01:16 PM, Italo Vignoli wrote:
http://lifehacker.com/5867623/the-best-word-processing-app-for-windows

This should indeed increase the number of downloads

The "where it falls short" part could be an issue, though.

The 20 second boot-up time is faster than that on my old Vista Laptop, with MSO 2003 taking twice as long when I had it on with LO 3.3.1 or 3.3.2, during some testing I was doing. Now it is dual boot and do not have the drive space to spare for installing MSO 2003 on it and use the laptop they way I need.

I never hear of their last "pick" of Q10.

I think the author should have compared boot times of LO with the newest MSO. I bet MSO takes longer to allow you to edit the document, than LO needs to be ready to edit it. That is the real comparison. Not how long it takes to show the document, but how long does it take to go from clicking on the icons to the start of editing. MSO 2003 kept loading other things, like agents and sidebars, that I did not need every time I loaded a document. I "turn them off" during the editing and they come back when I open MSO again. LO does not have that issue. You are in more control with enabling/disabling extensions/templates than you are with MSO's options.

Someone should write a head to head comparison with MSO 2010, the good and the bad. Someone should include the info of free dictionaries and language menus that take more money for MSO and, as far as I know, not have an English install on the same machine as a French, Spanish, German, etc., menu install for MSO. LO can switch freely between the different menu languages without any more price, except your time to download and install the language packs. By the way, how many spell-checking, thesaurus, and other dictionaries does MSO offer, let alone free? LO has over 180 with 20+ localized [by country] Spanish ones.

I am not a writer of these type of articles, but those are some of the points that I would give. Since I have not used any MSO past 2003, except for the trial period, I cannot really do a proper comparison between LO and MSO. Sure, LO does not do some things better than MSO. LO is not bloated as MSO so it will not do all those 1000's of things that takes an expert in MSO to know that they are even there, if not how to use them or why they would ever be needed. I remember an MSO ad that claimed several thousand of new features from the old version to the new one. HOW MANY features/options do you use? Do you really need to have your word processor do spreadsheet work inside it? Bloat is what you get from that. Do you need a full and complex web page editor inside a word processor, especially where it makes such a complex resulting HTML file that it is 3 to 10 time larger than a "standard" web page editor does? MSO claims you do, or it just works out that way. LO can edit web pages, but it does not claim to be a web page editor for business use, like MSO once did. Does it still state that?

Well, this post is a little long, but the real thing is: WE need a clear side by side comparison between LO and MSO for the types of things that the "average" user [say 90%+/- of the office suite users] at home or in business will use them for. Then we can point to that and say here are the facts. Choose the best package for your needs. I think LO will win out most of the time.